Saturday 7 February 2009

How to make rice milk and oat milk

Ok, so we have enough milk to keep us going a few more days, but maybe you haven't? What are you going to do, the shop shelves are empty.
How about you make your own? I've found recipes now for rice milk (delicious in red bush tea) and oat milk.....

Rice Milk

1/4 cup brown rice
4 cups boiling water

Put into a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1hr. Allow to cool and blend till smooth. Strain through muslin.

It looks less milky than milk but tastes just as good, with a nice light rice taste! I reused the strained rice adding sugar and heating to make a (gruel like) rice pudding!!!



Oat Milk

Ingredients
3 Cups Very Hot Water
1 Cup Rolled Oats
2 Tsp Sweet White or Barley Miso

Combine all ingredients in a container with a lid, being sure that miso is dissolved. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, blend until smooth in a blender or food processor. Keeps for one week. Always shake before serving.

The miso is there for added B12 and fermentation, but I dont have any in so I'll be trialling it without for now???


Does anyone else have any tips for 'making do' with store cupboard stuff?

2 comments:

Michal said...

This is the simplest recipe I have found so far for homemade oat milk. Ive tried making my own rice.oats milks before and they always turn out gross. Im totally trying your method soon :)

Vive...rie...ama said...

Thank you! I am in Mexico right now and needed to make some non-milk for my daughter with allergies, and I stumbled upon your web site. Muchisimas gracias por tu ayuda!:)